Saturday, January 9, 2010

PINICCHIO by Carlo Collodi


I'll begin this thread about Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. I've chosen the movie Artificial Intelligence to accompany this book for reasons that will become evident as you view it. The robot/child has Pinocchio read to him, and eventually begins a quest to find the Blue Fairy and become a real human being. You find the Pinocchio myth embedded in may stories. Remember The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams? You may also want to watch the Disney version of Pinocchio to see how the story was "Americanized." If you wish, when we meet, we can discuss how the Disney story differs from the original and why.


3 comments:

  1. I posted a comment on AI but must not have done it correctly since I can't find it. When David said I am DAvid, I am Special, I am unique he was defining himself. When he saw all the clones of himself or like himself he wasn't speical anymore and jumpted into water. Also the ability to chase down our dreams. And wanting to be loved. The ending comments "Robots are the lasting memory of human races genius." Now I'll see if I can find my posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the humanness of Pinocchio that he wants to be a boy or that he can never avoid trouble? There is always some "but" that spoils everything."? p113, I find this tedious reading because I am trying to read large sections at a time. When it was written it was in installments so only one chapter would be read at a sitting. It illustrates that being human we are open to the tempations and always looking for an opportunity (gold that grows on trees.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting observations, Blair. Yes, surprisingly Pinocchio specifically and children's literature in general can offer us real insight into the human condition. Pinocchio tells us that as humans we look for shortcuts. Recent brain research tell us we avoid real "thinking" whenever we can -- and move to the default or easiest solution. We always look for connection, to places and other people; and we'll do stupid things sometimes to gain that connection because it's so important to us. Anyone else out there with some ideas?

    ReplyDelete